Our websites

Your tenancy

As a tenant you have rights and responsibilities and so do we as your housing association and landlord.

We will support you with every part of your tenancy, from explaining the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement to moving home or ending your tenancy.

You can read about the standard of service you can expect from us by downloading our tenancy management service standard below.

Home contents insurance

Home contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions, whether they get broken, damaged or stolen.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, we’ve teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited, which provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme – a Tenants Contents Insurance policy designed for tenants living in social housing.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

For further information, please call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288 or visit the thistlemyhome.co.uk

Limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available on request. The National Housing Federation working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419.   Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group. Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at https://www.thistleinsurance.co.uk/Privacy-Policy

It is important to protect your belongings and your Landlord suggests that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance, however there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

Keeping a pet

We allow pets in some of our rented homes but it’s important you get our permission first. If you’re given permission, you must make sure your pet’s behaviour doesn’t impact your neighbours and that your garden is secure.

If a pet’s behaviour isn’t well managed, you could risk having permission for keeping a pet taken away and breaching your tenancy.  To speak to us about a pet, please call us on 0300 333 6540 or email enquiries@bvt.org.uk

Tenancy fraud

Tenancy fraud is illegal and can stop people in genuine need a home from getting one. Tenancy fraud can include:

  • Providing false information to move into a home.
  • Not using the home as your main address or abandoning it.
  • Subletting it to someone else.
  • Not telling us when someone has died so that someone else can live there.

If you suspect that tenancy fraud may be taking place, please call us on 0300 333 6540 or email enquiries@bvt.org.uk.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categorised in:

News and events

Read our latest news. For media enquiries, please call our Communications team on 0300 333 6540.

All News