Our websites

Guidance on Applying to Make an Alteration

We are responsible for maintaining the look and character of the communities that we manage, so we aim to provide lots of information and support to help you understand what does and doesn’t need our approval before you apply to make an alteration to your home.

  • If you live in Birmingham, please select ‘yes’ to the question ‘Is this for pre-application advice?’ when completing an application to make an alteration to your home for a free 30 minute initial discussion.
  • If you live in Telford, please contact your estate officer/s. They can go through your plans with you and make sure they meet the requirements outlined in our Design Guides before you submit an application.

Once you are ready to submit an application, please ensure you have everything listed on the checklist, which you will find in the Design Guide for your area, as we can’t process incomplete applications.

If missing information is not received within 14 days of an application being submitted, your application will be closed, and you will need to resubmit it.

Please be aware that extensions which increase the original footprint of your house by more than 50% are unlikely to be approved. We calculate the footprint of a house using the gross external area (GEA) of the original house when it was built. Any extensions that have happened since the house was built are included as part of the 50% increase.

If you own your home, there are lots of changes you can make that you don’t need our permission for.

These include:

  • General maintenance like installing a new boiler or fitting carpets
  • Painting interior doors and walls
  • Fitting a water meter or outdoor tap

There are changes you will need permission for, which include:

  • Extensions
  • New windows and doors
  • Driveways
  • Loft/garage conversions
  • Conservatories

These are just a few examples, and our Design Guides provide detailed information about making changes to your home. Your estate officer/s can also provide support to you both before and during the application process.

It’s important permission is sought before you go ahead with any changes, even if they comply with our Design Guides.

If you would like more information, please call 0300 333 6540 or email enquiries@bvt.org.uk

Applying to make an alteration

To apply to make an alteration to your home, please go to our Apply Now page and don’t forget to refer to the checklist (in the Design Guide for your area) to ensure you have all the necessary information and documents ready.

If you are making an alteration to a property on the Bournville Park development in the following roads, New House Farm Drive, Belmont Crescent, Griffin Close, Woodbrooke Grove and Middle Park Drive, you DO NOT require our approval.  However, you will need approval from Crest Developments who can be contacted at customerserviceMD@crestnicholson.com

Alteration application pricelist

Costs for applying to make an alteration to your home vary and the application form will show you the charge for the alteration you wish to make before you submit it. You can also find application fees for Birmingham and Lightmoor Village on our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Need help completing your application?

If you or someone you know needs help to complete an application, your estate officer/s can help. If you know someone who does not have access to the internet or a computer, they can visit our offices in Birmingham or Telford where PC’s, and support, can be made available.

Tags: , , , ,

Categorised in:

News and events

Read our latest news. For media enquiries, please call our Communications team on 0300 333 6540.

All News