In response to the coronavirus pandemic, we have made changes to some of our services. These changes are to protect you as a BVT customer and our staff, and to ensure we can continue to provide our most essential services to you and your community.
Customer service and our offices
- We are asking you to consider the following before calling us to help support our customer services team; Can you make a payment, report a routine repair or contact us on our website instead?
- Our offices (350 Bournville Lane and Cherry Tree House) and Five Gates depot remain closed to external visitors to protect you, our staff and to follow the government’s advice on social distancing. If you need to make payment, report a routine repair or apply to make an alteration to your home, you can do this all on our website.
- Cancelling non-essential face-to-face meetings with you and looking at different ways of holding these. For example, we may call you instead of visiting you at home.
Repairs and maintenance
- We are now offering routine repair appointments again after we paused this service to focus on emergency repairs only to protect you, our staff and help stop the spread of the coronavirus.
- There is currently a backlog of over 1,000 routine repairs and we are going to be working hard to get through them. To do this, we are making some changes to our routine repairs service during this recovery period which you can read about on our Repairs Service and Coronavirus page.
- To be as fair as we can and work as safely as possible, we will be prioritising the backlog based on: The oldest outstanding routine repairs (for example those made in March) will come first, plumbing repairs that could get worse if left any longer and repairs to the outside of homes to make the most of the longer lighter days and the safest way of working right now.
- Customers who have had to wait the longest, and whose repairs are the most serious, will be seen first. We will start all other routine repairs, again prioritising the length customers have had to wait and the seriousness, from 27th July.
- So that we can get through the backlog of repairs as quickly as we can, if you call us now to report a routine repair we will contact you within the next 90 days with an appointment date. You will not be given an appointment over the phone when you first call in. We are aiming for repairs to be done before the 90 days. You can report a repair on our Report A Repair Now page.
- We are continuing to provide an emergency repairs service and compliance works, for example gas servicing and fire safety inspections.
- We are asking you to tell us if you are self-isolating or exhibiting symptoms of the coronavirus when you book a repair with us. Before we visit your home to carry out a repair, an operative will also call you to ask these questions. If you are self-isolating we may still be able to attend, but we will ask you or anyone else in your home to keep away from the room or area we are working in (at least 2 meters) whilst the repair is being carried out.
Housing and community services
- We have reopened playgrounds / areas in our parks and open spaces in Birmingham and Shropshire. There’s a full list of the ones we manage on the Parks and Open Spaces page. If you plan to use the playgrounds / areas, please: Observe social distancing. If the facilities are particularly busy, consider coming back and using them at a quieter time. Consider what you need to protect you and your family, for example hand sanitiser and wipes. Please dispose of any wipes responsibly. If you find that equipment is damaged or broken, report it to us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 333 6540
- We have started to reintroduce landscaping services such as grass and hedge cutting and tree maintenance (which were temporarily paused) in addition to the environmental maintenance we have continued to deliver. This will make sure our open spaces, parks and communal areas in Birmingham and Shropshire are looking great as well as being clean and safe to use. You can find our programme of upcoming works here Landscaping programme of work 2020 Please note this programme may be subject to change.
- We are continuing to process applications for alterations to homes remotely to ensure we are following the government’s guidance on social distancing and protecting you and our staff. If your application requires a site visit that involves entering the inside of your property, there will be a delay in processing it until we are able to resume our usual service.
- Our nursing homes (Sellywood House and Redditch Road) are accepting visitors by appointment only to protect some of our most vulnerable residents.
As you will appreciate the situation is changing regularly and we will update this page as quickly as possible. For information from the NHS about the coronavirus, please go to www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
(Last updated 5 August 2020)
Categorised in: News, News & Events