Our websites

If you are a tenant with a three or more year tenancy with a social housing landlord you may be eligible for the Government’s Voluntary Right to Buy (VRTB) pilot in the Midlands.

You must also have lived in your current home for at least 12 months.

You can find out more about this on the Government’s website www.righttobuy.gov.uk and www.righttobuy.gov.uk/agent-service where Government agents will be able to help you decide whether home ownership is an option you want to consider, together with the costs associated with owning your own home. For example, being responsible for all maintenance costs yourself.

If you are eligible for the scheme, your current home may be available for you to purchase at a discount, or may be exempt from the scheme in which case you may be able to purchase an alternative property from a social housing landlord, also with a discount.

General information on whether your home is available to buy or not is available in our Exempt Homes Strategy

Further information on your particular home, can be obtained from our Customer Service team by emailing  enquiries@bvt.org.uk or calling 0300 333 6540.

If your home is exempt from the pilot, you may be able to purchase an alternative home by registering with Homes Direct. We will advise you how to do this if this is an option, details of which can be found in Our Portability Policy

The Government registration process is now closed. All applicants who have registered their interest will receive an email detailing if they are successful or not.

The issue of a Unique Reference Number (URN) to successful tenants will be over a period of a few weeks, so don’t be concerned if you don’t receive this immediately after the initial notification.

Following receipt of your URN, if you wish to continue, please download and complete either a BVT VRTB application form or a BWHS VRTB application form and, after making a payment of £250 to BVT via our Customer Service team (0300 333 6540), post/hand the application form to BVT.

Applications are unable to be accepted without a Unique Reference Number and the £250 application fee.

Tenants of other housing associations should contact their own landlord for information.

Please note, the above is aimed at providing you with a very much shortened version of the application process.  Please visit the Government’s website for detailed information.

It is recommended that if you do decide to submit an application, that you read our VRTB Policy in full to completely understand the process and your responsibilities.

Strict timescales apply to the various stages in the process and failure to adhere to these timescales will result in applications being cancelled without further notice.

If you need any further information, please contact our Customer Services team.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categorised in: ,

More information:

0300 333 6540

Email >>

Share this article: