Our websites

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment that combines six different benefits.

Birmingham and Telford are part of the full digital service and BVT tenants can make a new claim for Universal Credit by visiting www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

What benefits does Universal Credit replace? 

Universal Credit replaces six benefits; income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Income Support.

Who can claim Universal Credit? 

If you are on a low income or out of work, you may be able to make a claim for Universal Credit and how much you will get will depend on your circumstances, including your income. You will automatically have to make a claim for Universal Credit, if you are working age and need to make a new claim for any of the six benefits it replaces.

If there is a change in your circumstances that triggers a change in your benefit entitlement, you may also have to claim Universal Credit.

What kind of changes in circumstances may trigger having to make a claim for Universal Credit? 

Examples include, but aren’t limited, to:

  • Moving to Birmingham from another local authority which is not part of the Universal Credit full service
  • Losing your job and having to claim benefit
  • Becoming too ill to work and having to claim benefit
  • Changing your working contract, such as increasing your hours, and having to make a new claim for Working Tax Credit.

Who can’t claim Universal Credit? 

You can’t claim Universal Credit if you are Pension Credit Age.

Where can I go for further advice and support? 

You can contact the Government’s helpline on 0800 328 5644 or if you are experiencing financial hardship, or need advice on benefits, please contact us.

For further information on Universal Credit, you can go to the Money Advice Service’s website www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk and for advice on preparing for a Universal Credit interview or help making a claim, you can go to the Citizens Advice website www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categorised in:

News and events

Read our latest news. For media enquiries, please call our Communications team on 0300 333 6540.

All News